The purpose of this role is to maintain the company’s financial records, confirming compliance with GAAP, reconciling bank statements and balancing the ledger for regular reports. The staff accountant is responsible for the preparation and delivery of payroll documentation, as well as the maintenance of all company accounts receivable and accounts payable transactions. This position assists in maintaining day-to-day records, auditing and reconciling books as needed, and providing situational reports like corporate card performance, vendor invoicing histories, and monthly expense reports as assigned. This role supports and informs the work of the finance team, performing a variety of tasks and adjusting to meet the needs of a growing and evolving business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
MONTH END CLOSE
- Support month end close process (cash, prepaid/accrued expenses journal entries, account reconciliations, and expense review)
- Maintain Fixed Assets log and corresponding depreciation schedules
- Assist in revenue recognition entries as needed
- Analyze and provide commentary on assigned P&L accounts
- Complete Monthly Bank Reconciliations
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE & EXPENSE REPORTS
The Staff Accountant will responsible for full ownership of Accounts Payable and Expense reports.
- Manage the Finance inbox by reviewing new mail/emails daily
- Ensure proper documentation/backup and approval for each invoice
- Enter invoices into QuickBooks and cut checks on a weekly basis
- Maintain the contracts tracking log and ensure that it’s up to date each month; assist in contract management as needed
- Manage expense reports to ensure compliance with company policy which includes reviewing receipts
- Import expense report transactions to QuickBooks and ensure all transactions are properly coded
- Keep track of monthly culture budget for all departments (monthly emails and quarterly analysis), performing detailed analyses as needed
- Prep and file 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC statements
- Filing, Scanning and ad hoc projects
- Analyze and report Artist Revenue Share and Partner Royalty Earnings
- Assisting in the payroll process as needed
- Assist in preparing for the company’s annual internal audit
- Additional duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Solid understanding of GAAP principles, practices, theories, and methods of accounting.
- Proactive review of issues and discrepancies, and the ability to think outside the box.
- Excellent communication skills, especially across departments within the company and to external vendors hired by the company.
- Proficiency in Excel.
About the Company:
JibJab is a leading digital greeting card and social expression company. We are one of the oldest start-ups with our roots dating back to 1999. We live at the intersection of art and technology and have a mission of making billions of people happy.
We live our core values, so if these resonate with you, we may be a good fit:
- Transparency: We are all on the same team and succeed by sharing what we know, both good and bad.
- Trust: We earn trust by delivering on our commitments. We assume people have the best intentions in both their actions and their decisions, and we advocate for their success by offering support.
- Joy: We deliver joy to our users and we derive joy from work. We aim to make billions of people happy.
- Intention: We know why we do something, what we hope to achieve and what we will learn from it.
- Inclusion: We build diverse teams, with a wide range of cultures, backgrounds and experiences. Diverse perspectives push our company forward and these differences lead to better, more informed decisions.
- Healthy Debate: We engage in respectful, enlightening debates and we listen to all opinions. When a decision is made, we fully commit and focus on the path forward.
- Quality: Quality is our competitive advantage. We prioritize quality over quantity. What we do, we do well.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or similar
- 0-1 year of accounting experience